May 22th 2009


We laid the concrete footing today, narrowly finishing the work before dark. I was afraid we would not complete the day’s tasks and be set back a day. Laying concrete is grueling work, particularly in the summer sun. It was getting late and the men were clearly exhausted. Most were resting idly on bricks and sand piles. It took all my will power not to pick up a headpan and help them along. I knew we had to complete the footing by sundown. Yet, I hesitated to confront the men leaning on shovels. It seemed wrong to order tired men to work as I sat in the shade. Much of what I know of leadership comes from my years as a cross country captain. I could never tell a teammate to finish a workout unless I was leading it.

Fortunately, my shallow encouragement was not necessary. The people’s will to see development proved motivation enough. They realized the problem and put in one last good push.

Pok called in today informing me that he would not make it out to the site. He has also been taken ill with malaria.

-John Yatsko

No comments:

Post a Comment